[ncl-install] Ask for help: a problem about installing NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 30 09:23:34 MST 2016

Hi,

Please CC ncl-install at ucar.edu when replying to messages, so other people
can benefit from the dialog.

It looks to me like the libgfortran.so.3 file in /usr/lib is the wrong type
for your system. It looks like you are trying to use a 32-bit binary on a
64-bit system:

 'ncl:error while loading libraries:libgfortran.so.3:wrong ELF
class:ELFCLASS32'

I'm not sure how you ended up with 32-bit files on your system. Did you
recently go through an upgrade of some sort? What happens if you type:

which gfortran
which gcc
gfortran --version
gcc --version

It's possible that you have multiple versions of gcc/gfortran on your
system, and you will need to find the one that is 64-bit.

Do you have gfortran anywhere else on your system, like in /usr/local/bin?
What does the following report:

find /usr/local -name gfortran -print
find /usr/local -name libgfortran -print

This will help you see if you have gfortran installed anywhere under
/usr/local

If you can't find any other versions of gfortran, and if the "gfortran
--version" command gives you an error, then I highly recommend that you try
reinstalling gfortran (and likely gcc) using the "sudo" instructions
provided earlier.  This will get you the libgfortran file, and hopefully a
64-bit one at that.

--Mary