[ncl-install] Ask for help: a problem about installing NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 29 16:35:31 MST 2016

Sara,

I noticed that your "locate libgfortran.so.3" command didn't produce any
results.  I don't think you installed the file that you actually wanted.

If you google "error while loading shared libraries libgfortran.so.3", you
will see some solutions.  One of them was something like this:

sudo apt-get install libgfortran3

Or, maybe you just need to install gfortran:

sudo apt-get install gfortran

The other possibility is that the file got installed, but in a non-standard
location that NCL can't see. You may need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to this
directory to help NCL find it.  See:

http://archive.ambermd.org/201311/0370.html

If you still can't find the file, then first see if you have gfortran:

which gfortran

If it echoes back a path, like "/usr/local/bin/gfortran", then you can use
this information to see if "libgfortran" got installed anywhere under
/usr/local (or whatever parent path it echoes back at you):

find /usr/local -name 'libgfortran*' -print

If you find libgfortran.so.3, then try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to this path.

--Mary