[ncl-install] Conda Install Report [UPDATE]

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 16 13:30:18 MDT 2016

Some of those variables do take precedence over $NCARG_ROOT. Those variables serve a purpose in this case because the Red Hat package maintainers choose to separate files provided by NCL into different paths (/usr/lib64/ncarg, /usr/share/ncarg, …) rather than keeping everything in a single directory (“$CONDA_ENV_PATH/lib/ncarg" in our case). As such, I do not believe this to be a bug in the Red Hat ncl-6.3.0 package, but rather an incomplete configuration of environment variables within the conda environment which should ideally be set automatically.

Currently, only $NCARG_ROOT is set by the script $CONDA_ENV_PATH/etc/conda/activate.d/ncl-activate.sh, which is sourced as part of the “source activate ${env_name}” process. I will update the ncl-activate.sh and ncl-deactivate.sh scripts to set and unset the additional variables you mentioned in order to avoid conflicts like what you have experienced. This should allow for a seamless transition between your existing NCL runtime environment and your new Anaconda NCL environment without having to worry about environment variables.

Please note that this will only help users who are able to run “source activate ${env_name}” (bash/sh/zsh only; csh/tcsh/ksh users will have to manually manage their environment variables).

Thanks for the information,
Kevin