[ncl-install] Can't compile ctcell.f with PGI 16.5

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 12 15:56:40 MDT 2016

Hi,

I can't get onto the system that has PGI compilers at the moment in order
to try this.

One thing I always try first when I run into compiler issues is to turn off
optimization for just this one file.  Sometimes it's enough to just remove
the "-O", and other times you might additionally need to add "-g" or "-O0"
to force less optimization to occur.

I do this by going to the offending directory
($NCARG/ncarg2d/src/libncarg/srface), editing "Makefile", and removing any
references to "-O".

Then, I save the file, exit the file, and type (in the same directory):

rm -rf ctcell.o
make ctcell.o

to see if it works.

If it does, then you can edit the "yMakefile" file, and add a special rule
at the end that would look something like this:

ctcell.o: ctcell.f
    $(F77) $(FCOPTIONS) -c ctcell.f

(Make sure that's a tab before the $(F77))

To test that your yMakefile change worked, type:

make me
rm -rf ctcell.o
make ctcell.o

If this doesn't work, then repeat the above steps until something does work.

Then, you can start the build from scratch by running "make Everything"
from the top directory, or you can restart it from where it left off by
typing:

cd $NCARG
make all install

--Mary