[ncl-install] NCL binaries for debian 8 "jessie"?

Russ Schumacher russ.schumacher at colostate.edu
Fri Jan 1 15:42:09 MST 2016

Hello,

We have a new machine with debian 8 (release name “jessie”) and would like to get NCL installed on it.  Unfortunately the debian 7.8 binaries don’t quite work.  The couple of issues I identified were:

— the ncl binary is linked against librtmp0, but that library isn’t available for debian 8 (only librtmp1).  I tried making a symlink between librtmp.so.1 and librtmp.so.0 just to see if it would work otherwise and that did allow NCL to start running.  But…

— When I try to make certain plots (the same scripts work fine on other machines) NCL will seg-fault.  I haven’t pinned down exactly where/when it’s happening, but it is repeatable for those scripts (whereas other plotting scripts work just fine.)

Is there any chance you have created, or could create, binaries for debian 8?  (This machine specifically has debian 8.2.)  I took a crack at installing from source but it didn’t go well and I’d rather not slog through that process if it’s not necessary.

Thanks for your help and happy new year!

Russ

--
Russ S. Schumacher
Assistant Professor