[ncl-install] NCL installation on mac

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 7 11:41:19 MST 2016

I'm not sure what website you've looked at, but the instructions can be
found at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/

You want to download binaries and not source code, because building NCL
from source code is indeed confusing.

The steps for installing NCL from a binary are:

1. Download the appropriate NCL binary for your system from the ESG
<http://www.earthsystemgrid.org/>
2. Run "tar -zxf" on this file in the desired installation location.
3. Set your NCARG_ROOT and PATH environment variables.

Details:

1.  Since you have MacOS 10.11, I suggest going to:

https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.630.1/file.html

and downloading this binary:

ncl_ncarg-6.3.0.MacOS_10.11_64bit_nodap_gcc610.tar.gz binary

The instructions for #2 and #3 can be found on the first link in this email.

--Mary