[ncl-install] 【Ask for help 】Problem about Running NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:21:15 MST 2016

As I mentioned before, if you want to send your graphical output to an X11
window, you must start your X server first.

You can try googling this to see how to do it correctly on your system, or
you can try:

xstart

I suggest logging out and logging back in before you do this.

Here's some information that might help:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO/runningx.html

Or, instead of sending the output to an X11 window, you can follow the
suggestions I sent yesterday about sending the graphical output to a PNG
file.

By the way, you can't run NCL examples by typing "ncl", hitting <return>,
and then typing the name of the script.   To run a script, you need to do
this on one line at the UNIX prompt:

ncl xy01n.ncl

I suggest that you read this tutorial:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8357888/homepage/