[ncl-install] Ask for help: a problem about running NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 1 08:24:22 MST 2016

This is likely because you don't have an X11 server running.

The "gsun01n" example tries to send its graphical output to an X11 window,
which requires that you have a server running.

Try running a different example, and use a special flag to send the output
to a PNG file:

ng4ex xy01n -clean -W png

This should create a xy01n.png file.

X11 is a useful output format when you are debugging a graphical script, so
I recommend trying to install X11.  See this page for some details:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/linux.shtml#InstallSoftware

--Mary