[ncl-install] ncl on Cray systems

Jatin Kala jatin.kala.jk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 19:37:00 MDT 2016

Hi,
I had some trouble getting ncl (pre compiled binary) to work on a Cray system before. Here is a snippet of the email from the sys admin:

####
export NCARG_ROOT=/group/y98/ncl-6.2.1
export NCARG_USRRESFILE=$NCARG_ROOT/hluresfile
export MY_TMP=/scratch/y98/[your-user-id]/tmp

TMPDIR=$MY_TMP aprun -n 1 $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl plot_entropy_examples.ncl

The key here is that the environment variable NCARG_USRRESFILE must be set.
This is causing the SEGV observed earlier. The file need not exist, or may be empty,
but the environment variable must be set.

I recommend you create a temporary directory and specify MY_TMP as above. By
default, temporary files are written to /tmp, which on Magnus is actually memory.
This can create problems if you have large temporary files.
####

See also:
http://www.archer.ac.uk/about-archer/software/modcatalogue/ncl/

Hope this helps. We did manage to get ncl to work on this cray machine without having to build from source.
Cheers,
Jatin

On 20/08/2016 12:44 AM, Mary Haley wrote:
> Hi Robert (and Gerry),
>
> As Gerry stated, you might be able to use precompiled binaries, if
> this is a LINUX system.
>
> But, if you want to build from source code, then I can try to help you
> with that.  What I will need is the full output from when you ran
> "make Everything" so I can see if there are some errors that need to
> be addressed.
>
> --Mary
>

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:12 PM, <gerry.creager at noaa.gov
> <mailto:gerry.creager at noaa.gov>> wrote:
>
>     I've successfully used the binaries, as-is, on an XE6. Should work
>     on CS and XC hardware just fine. What problem are you having?
>
>     Gerry
>
>     On Aug 18, 2016, at 11:36 AM, French, Robert D. <frenchrd at ornl.gov
>     <mailto:frenchrd at ornl.gov>> wrote:
>
>>     Hello friends!
>>

>>     Has anyone had any luck building ncl for SLES11 or Cray systems?
>>     I have been going back and forth between trying to build ncl from
>>     source (which is indeed as hard as the docs claim it is) and
>>     trying to get the CentOS 7 and RHEL 6 binaries to work correctly
>>     on SLES11. I think I can power through it and get *something* to
>>     work, but if anyone has thoughts or suggestions (or wild guesses)
>>     I would be very grateful for your input.
>>

>>     Thank you so much,
>>

>>     -Robert French
>>     National Center for Computational Sciences
>>     Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Dr. Jatin Kala
Lecturer in Atmospheric Science
Murdoch University,Perth, Western Australia
Tel: (+618) 9360 6297
http://www.jatinkala.com/