[ncl-install] Zero length dimension errors

Crooks, Cynthia J cynthia.crooks at bp.com
Tue Apr 19 08:54:19 MDT 2016

I recently compiled ncl_ncarg-6.3.0 for one of our users.  She has written the ncl script below:

; NCL script to time interpolate hycom to 1 hour time interval
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
;load "/usr/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

setfileoption("nc","Format","LargeFile")

ii=2
fileno_in=sprintf("%04.0f",ii)
iii=ii-1
fileno_out=sprintf("%04.0f",iii)

file_out = "/lustre04/vol0/crookscj/ncl/reems/test_"+fileno_out+".nc"
file_in = "/lustre04/vol0/crookscj/ncl/reems/SV_tides_100m_his_"+fileno_in+".nc"
file_time = "/lustre04/vol0/crookscj/ncl/reems/SV_tides_500m_his_"+fileno_in+".nc"

fin = addfile(file_in,"r")
ftime = addfile(file_time,"r")

system("ncgen -o "+file_out+" SV_his.cdl")
out = addfile(file_out,"w")

The script appears to work until the last statement which generates the "Zero length dimension" errors.  She has checked the file created by "ncgen" and feels it is correct.  She has looked through the FAQ and did not find anything she felt was helpful.

We are wondering if I have missed something in the compile steps or setting up the user environment.   I have attached a copy of the script, a log file with the error messages and a file with the steps I took to compile the software.  I have also attached the lua module file which sets the environment.

I am trying to collect the data and rewrite the script so that everything would be contained in the current directory.

Please let me know if this should be more appropriately posted to ncl-talk.

Thanks for your help.

Cindy