[ncl-install] NCL Error; if: missing file name

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 4 10:22:16 MDT 2016

Hi Ben,

The issue is usually to do with Cygwin and not Windows. However, I don't
have access to test Windows 10, so I can't be positive of this.

You need to make sure you are running a fairly recent version of a 32-bit
version of Cygwin.

To check if you have a 32-bit Cygwin, what does the following report from a
Cygwin terminal window:

uname -a

Finally, which version of NCL did you install? Hopefully it was the NCL
V6.3.0 Cygwin binary downloaded from the ESG website:

ncl_​ncarg-​6.​3.​0.​CYGWIN_​NT-​6.​1-​WOW64_​i686.​tar.​gz
<https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/download/fileDownload.htm?logicalFileId=e08a86ff-cd9a-11e4-bb80-00c0f03d5b7c>

If none of this sheds a light on the problem, then it could be a Windows 10
issue. In that case, I will have to find a Windows 10 system to test on, or
else recomment that you try a Linux VM (virtual machine). Do you have any
experience with Linux VMs?

--Mary