[ncl-install] Installing NCL on mac

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 15 10:19:41 MDT 2015

​First, why are you installing a Debian Linux version for your Mac?  You
want to download one of the Mac binaries, depending on your version of
MacOS:

ncl_ncarg-6.3.0.MacOS_10.10_64bit_nodap_gcc492.tar.gz
ncl_ncarg-6.3.0.MacOS_10.9_64bit_nodap_gcc492.tar.gz
ncl_ncarg-6.3.0.MacOS_10.8_64bit_nodap_gcc471.tar.gz

You can get more information about which binary to download from here:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml#DownloadBinary

Second, you downloaded the binary to your "Desktop" directory, so when you
try to untar it, you need to include that directory in your path:

 tar -zxf ~/Desktop/xxxxx.tar.gz
"xxxxx.tar.gz" should be replaced by the name of the file you end up
downloading.

Good luck,

--Mary