[ncl-install] Running two versions of NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Mar 8 22:46:25 MDT 2015

Adriel,

You can have multiple versions of NCL installed, as long as you install
them in different directories. For example:

/usr/local/ncl-6.1.2
/usr/local/ncl-6.2.0
/usr/local/ncl-6.3.0

Then, you need to make sure you set the NCARG_ROOT environment variable to
whichever version you want, and add $NCARG_ROOT/bin to your search path;

csh/tcsh:
setenv NCARG_ROOT /usr/local/ncl-6.1.2
setenv PATH $NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH

bash/ksh:

export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/ncl-6.1.2
export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH

As "gramos at yahoo.com" pointed out, you can use the "modules" command to
help you switch between versions.  The modules command would need to set
NCARG_ROOT and PATH as appropriate.

--Mary