[ncl-install] running ncl on cray machine using aprun

Jatin Kala jatin.kala.jk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 21:47:41 MDT 2015

Hi Mary,
Just FYI, we have found a solution to this problem.
Compiling from source was not necessary. Turns out that to run ncl on
Cray machines, you need the following:

|export NCARG_USRRESFILE=$NCARG_ROOT/hluresfile
export MY_TMP=/scratch/y98/julia/tmp
TMPDIR=$MY_TMP aprun -n 1 $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl script.ncl|

Not explicitly defining NCAR_USRRESFILE caused the seg fault.
We got this info from another group which runs ncl on a Cray machine:
http://www.archer.ac.uk/about-archer/software/modcatalogue/ncl/

This did the trick for us. Might be worth putting this link on NCL
install web-page if anyone else is running ncl on Cray machines via aprun.

Cheers,
Jatin

On 7/04/2015 10:03 pm, Mary Haley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know what the "aprun" utility is so I can't help you there.
>
> Are you able to just run NCL without any scripts?  You can try:
>
>  ncl -V
>
> to see if it will echo the version number.
>
> You can probably compile from source code if the Cray if you have
> access to good gcc/gfortran compilers.  However, if it's truly Linux,
> then one of our precompiled Linux binaries should work.  Did you try
> any of the Debian or RedHat ones?
>
> --Mary
>

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM, Jatin Kala <jatin.kala.jk at gmail.com
> <mailto:jatin.kala.jk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     Does anyone have experience running ncl on a Cray supercomputer, using
>     the aprun utility?
>
>     Some machine details:
>     jatinkala at magnus-2:~> uname -a
>     Linux magnus-2 3.0.101-0.46-default #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 11:04:10 UTC
>     2014
>     (8356111) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>     jatinkala at magnus-2:~> cat /etc/*-release
>     SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
>     VERSION = 11
>     PATCHLEVEL = 3
>     Cluster Manager v6.1
>     slave
>     LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64"
>
>     I installed the SL pre-compiled binary:
>     ncl_ncarg-6.2.1.Linux_SL6.5_x86_64_nodap_gcc447.tar.g
>
>     A simple print("hello") program is giving us a segmentation fault.....
>
>     I'm still waiting on the sys admins, but in your opinion, does it look
>     like we will have to build from source using the Cray C and Fortran
>     compilers?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Jatin

Dr. Jatin Kala
Lecturer in Atmospheric Science
Murdoch University,Perth, Western Australia
Tel: (+618) 9360 6297
http://www.jatinkala.com/