[ncl-install] Mac OS X 10.11 Incompatability

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Thu Dec 17 07:40:03 MST 2015

Hi Mary,

No, I haven't built from source yet. I'm going to try first with the
standard packages I can get/have from MacPorts - it seems like everything
is there, if you include the g2clib within GDAL. It also seems that GDAL
made a major update back in September and not sure if any of your
fixes/alterations to g2clib would've snuck in there or been fixed otherwise.

(text above written yesterday)

Build finished after I left work yesterday, successfully. Interestingly,
the source tarball I downloaded seems to be quite old! It contains NCL
6.1.0-beta, a version that was outdated before I even purchased the
computer. The executables are all dated 24 May 2012, which appears to be
consistent with when such a build may have been released.

Regardless, I ran the example - gsun01n.ncl, and it immediately segfaults.
I think this has to do with me not being able to easily get some of the X11
development libraries for Mac, which is more on me than anything. Changing
the wks_type to png immediately allowed the script to run successfully.
Other libraries I didn't/couldn't get via port include HDF-EOS5 and the
patched g2clib. All other external software was included and built based
only on the MacPorts versions available.

Still not sure how the source code contains 6.1.0-beta when downloaded from
https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.630.2.html (I can confirm the
file size matches the one listed for 6.3.0 source). But regardless, build
from scratch seems to work well on 10.11 when the appropriate paths are
provided in the Q&A section of the config.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1407
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu