[ncl-install] bash: ncl: command not found...

Jonathan Murray jmurray at whoi.edu
Fri Sep 12 03:32:21 MDT 2014

We set our path stuff in /etc/profile.d
All users on the system get the same version/path
Works.

example:

[root at machine etc]# more /etc/profile.d/ncl-6.2.0.sh
export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/ncl-6.2.0
export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH
[root at machine etc]# echo $NCARG_ROOT
/usr/local/ncl-6.2.0
[root at machine etc]# su - username
[username at machine ~]$ echo $NCARG_ROOT
/usr/local/ncl-6.2.0

If you don't want to do it that way, you should have an entry in
.bash_profile in your home directory, as opposed to root.

good luck,

Jonathan