[ncl-install] Fwd: GKS ERROR NUMBER -208 ?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 5 13:18:21 MDT 2014

Octavia,

The error message:

 --X driver error: DISPLAY environment variable not set

is telling you that you are trying to run an application that wants to
display to your window via an X server, but you apparently don't have the
required DISPLAY environment variable set.

This is not an NCL or NCAR Graphics issue, but rather an issue with your
environment.

I assume you are running the command on the same system that you are trying
to display it to? If so, then your Mac should be setting this environment
variable for you.

First, make sure you have XQuartz version 2.7.5 or later. You can use the
spotlight finder to search for "XQuartz". Click on this, and then select
the "X11->About X11" to see the version. Mine is actually on version 2.7.7.

Second, make sure you are not setting DISPLAY yourself. You can do this by
searching for the word "DISPLAY" in any of the files that start with a "."
in your home directory. On the UNIX command line, type:

grep DISPLAY ~/.*

The above command should not result in any matches!  If you see something
like:

/Users/octavia/.cshrc:setenv DISPLAY :0.0

Then you need to edit the "/Users/octavia/.cshrc" file and either remove
this line, or comment it out by putting a "#: in front of it:

#setenv DISPLAY :0.0

Once you save the file, log out and log back in and try the commands again.

--Mary