[ncl-install] Installing NCL 6.2.0 on Mac OS 10.7.5

David B. Reusch dreusch at ees.nmt.edu
Tue May 13 11:14:23 MDT 2014

Hello,

I just wanted to share that I'm facing a similar situation with my
desktop Mac.  It's just one hardware generation too old for 10.8 or 10.9
and thus currently not able to go to NCL 6.2.  I have experience doing
complex from-source installs but haven't felt ready to tackle 6.2 yet
(it is not trivial).  I'm also pondering a system "hack" that is
supposed to make it possible to install 10.8 on my Mac Pro, in which
case I might not have to deal with the from-source install after all
(see my postscript for links).

I admit I haven't thought through all the implications, but I'd be
willing to consider making this machine available to the NCL folks to
get a 10.7 binary out there.  I understand that this might not be a path
you want to take though :-)

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Those of you with older Mac Pros might find the following links of
interest.  I have *not* tried any of the suggestions nor am I in any way
able to answer questions about them.  This is just a "public service".
http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1rsp3q/install_mavericks_on_older_mac_pro_11_21_20062007/
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1325709
http://lifehacker.com/5994204/mlpostfactor-installs-mountain-lion-on-older-macs
http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47