[ncl-install] Installing NCL 6.2.0 on Mac OS 10.7.5

Mattias Cape mattias at spg.ucsd.edu
Mon May 12 23:10:29 MDT 2014

Hi,

I¹d like to install NCL to plot output from an atmospheric model (grib
format). I¹m currently running Mac OS 10.7.5, and have gcc version 4.2.1 and
gfortran version 4.6.1

gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.6.1
gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build
5658) (LLVM build 2335.15.00)

I was unable to find a binary for my version of OSX, but tried to install
ncl_ncarg-6.2.0.MacOS_10.8_64bit_gcc471.tar.gz. I followed the directions
from http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml without any issues.
However when I tested the install with

ng4ex gsun01n -clean

No window or plot popped up. The gsun01n file was copied to the directory
however and no error was returned. My display settings are as follows:

echo $DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-aWEnSQ/org.x:0

Trying to simply run ncl gives me an error however

ncl -V
Segmentation fault: 11

Because I am using an older version of OSX, including older compilers, I'm
having a hard time isolating the problem. I wanted to see if I could get
some suggestions on things to try. Upgrading to OS 10.8 would not
necessarily be my first choice but perhaps it's necessary.

Thanks for the help,

Mattias