[ncl-install] X-11 plots

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu May 1 09:54:28 MDT 2014

On Apr 30, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Ipshita Majhi <ipmajhi at alaska.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I feel my x-11 plots have white background instead of black that is why the axis doesn't show up. How to resolve this issue.
>
> Thank You
> Ipshita

Ipshita,

By default, NCL plots have a white background and a black foreground, and all lines, axis backgrounds, contour lines, text, markers, etc, are black by default, unless you specfically set a resource like “tmBorderLineColor” to white.

So, you have two possible solutions: don’t use white as a color for these type of plot elements, or, if you really want a black background and a white background, then you can change this when you call gsn_open_wks:

  type                   = “x11"
  type at wkBackgroundColor = "black"
  type at wkForegroundColor = "white"
  wks                    = gsn_open_wks(type,”example”)

—Mary