[ncl-install] Problem with Building from Source Code

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 3 14:04:46 MST 2014

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the make-output file.

This is the error that's causing the problem:

/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lXrender

I'm surprised there's no "error" associated with this.

You need to have the X11 development libraries installed on your system, and make sure that they can be found.

Do you have libXrender? You can type this to find out:

locate libXrender.so

If you don't have this file, then please see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/linux.shtml#InstallSoftware

If you do have this file, then you may need to edit your $NCARG/config/Site.local file and add the path to it to the "#define LibSearch" line. For example, if you see the file "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so", then you need to add "-L/usr/lib64" to the end of the line:

#define LibSearch …[snip]…. -L/usr/X11R6/lib

You will need to run "make Everything" after making this change.

--Mary