[ncl-install] NCL for Power7

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:52:59 MDT 2014

Dear Smriti,

I don't have access to a PPC64 system, so yes, you would need to build it from source code.

I can help with this, by providing suggestions on what to set in your LINUX configuration file.

When you download the NCL source code, you will see a directory in the top of the tree called "config". This directory contains a bunch of sample configuration files for LINUX, like:

LINUX.64.GNU
LINUX.64.INTEL
LINUX.64.PGI
LINUX.INTEL
LINUX.ppc64.xl

You can look at these files to get an idea of what things you need to set.

The file that ends up getting used for the NCL build is called LINUX, so this is the one you will need to make the modifications for.

The most critical lines in the LINUX file that you need to worry about are these:

#define StdDefines  -DSYSV -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DByteSwapped
#define ByteSwapped
#define CCompiler   gcc
#define FCompiler   gfortran
#define CtoFLibraries   -lgfortran
#define CtoFLibrariesUser   -lgfortran
#define CcOptions      -ansi -fPIC -fopenmp
#define FcOptions      -fPIC -fno-f2c -fno-second-underscore -fopenmp

If you are not using the GNU compilers, then you'll need to change the CCompiler and FCompiler as desired, along with the compile options via CcOptions and FcOptions.

The line

#define ByteSwapped

should be removed if this is a big endian machine, which I seem to remember that it is.

Once you have the "config/LINUX" file set up as desired, then you can cd to the top level NCL tree and run "./Configure" as documented. See this link for full information:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml

If you have any questions about this, please post them back to this email list.