[ncl-install] Library iconv not available in Ubuntu 14.04

Jeremy Winick winickjr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:43:54 MST 2014

When I try to compile and execute an example ncarg program on my new
Ubuntu 14.04 system I get the following:

ncargex cpex08

NCAR Graphics Fortran  Example <cpex08>

   Copying cpex08.f

   Copying cpexcc.f

Compiling and linking...
gfortran -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -fopenmp -O -o
cpex08 cpexcc.f cpex08.f -L/usr/local/ncar/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64
-lncarg -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lX11 -lXext -lcairo -lfontconfig
-lpixman-1 -lfreetype -lexpat -lpng -lz -liconv -lXrender -lbz2

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -liconv

The compile and link failed.

There doesn't seem to be the library iconv in the Ubuntu 14.04
distribution. It is interesting that there is the command iconv that
converts encoding of given files from one encoding to another, which I
presume is the function that is being used in the ncar graphics routines.

I have read that I can get this library from ftp to
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libiconv where the latest source is libiconv-1.14.tar.gz
with a date of 7 August 2011. If I get this and compile it, where should
it be installed (gnu suggests /usr/local path) to be in the same path as
the other libraries that ncarg uses? Or would it be best, as an add-on
to put in /usr/local path and then just make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH was
set to find it?

Thank,
Jeremy