[ncl-install] (no subject)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 6 08:39:53 MDT 2014

​Dear Amit,

What have you tried so far?  I'm not sure how to help you unless I know
what the problem is.

Do you know basic UNIX commands and terminology?  This goes a long way in
helping you understand about setting up your environment to run NCL.

Setting up your NCL environment requires setting two UNIX environment
variables. You then need to log out and log back in for the these changes
to take effect.

Did you read the instructions on setting these two environment variables?

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#SetNCARG_ROOT

In order to edit your .bashrc file, you need to use a UNIX editor like vi,
nedit, or emacs.  I recommend "nedit" if you've never used a UNIX editor.
However, in order to use "nedit", I believe you need to be running an
X/Cygwin window and not just a Cygwin window.
You can try the "vi" editor, but if you don't know this editor, it's not
very intuitive.  I would suggest googling "vi editor" or "nedit editor" to
learn more about the basic commands of these editors.

--Mary
​