[ncl-install] NCL compatibility with new OS X Mavericks

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 30 08:20:13 MDT 2013

Hi Derek,

I tested a MacOS 10.7 NCL binary on a newly-upgraded-to-Mavericks system and it worked fine.

The one "issue" is that this 10.7 binary was built against a different X11 software distribution, and with MacOS 10.8 and later, Apple has moved to XQuartz for its X11 software.

All this means is that the first time you try to run ncl, your system may tell you that X11 (XQuartz) is not installed. You'll want to follow the instructions for getting XQuartz, and then you should be set. It doesn't take very long.

If you have questions about installing XQuartz, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml#InstallXQuartz

Please also be aware that with this new X11 system, there's a serious bug in the display of X11 graphics from ncl, which causes the graphics to not completely display.

You need to use "ncl.xq.fix" if you have this issue.  For more information on this, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml#KnownXQuartzIssue

Let us know if you have any problems with the upgrade.

--Mary