[ncl-install] ncl - libbz2 shared libraries

Brandon Fisel bjfisel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 15:00:47 MDT 2013

Hi,

I have downloaded and extracted the ncl v.6.1.2 (nodap) binary and upon
running the executable, I am receiving the following:
bin/ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open

The system I am using has libbz2.so located in /lib64:
libbz2.so.1 libbz2.so.1.0.5

I attempted to create a symbolic link to the libbz2.so.1 in my $HOME
directory and added the location of the libbz2 to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
received the same error as above:
ln -s /lib64/libbz2.so.1 $HOME/libbz2.so.1.0
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $HOME/libbz2.so.1.0:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Following from some previous ncl-install archived discussions, I
successfully downloaded and compiled (static and shared) bzip2 libraries,
and added the location of the shared library to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and am
still receiving the same error as above.

Should I compile the source code rather than use the binaries provided to
me?

Cheers,