[ncl-install] Problem untarring compiled binaries

Parish, Helen hparish at ess.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 15 22:56:41 MDT 2013

I have downloaded the compiled binary ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.MacOS_10.7_64bit_nodap_gcc450.tar to my Mac OSX 10.7.2 with Intel processors. However, I am unable to untar the file, and get an error message: " Launch of "tar" failed: the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported." The Archive utility gives a similar error.

Is there another way to untar this file, or do I need to do this a different way for my computer ?.

Thanks,
Helen.