[ncl-install] Installing NCL

Lisa Alexander lisa_s_a at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 29 11:25:23 MST 2013

Hello,
I am new to NCL and have been trying to install it on my laptop.

I have followed all the instructions at:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml
Everything has worked fine until I got this message (after trying to display xy04n.ncl):
warning:GKS:GOPWK: --X driver error: DISPLAY environment variable not set
as well as a number of 'fatal' messages.

So I checked printenv DISPLAY and it shows the 0.0 value...

As for the window I am working in...it does not have an X in the upper left corner.
I also try to open up the XWin Server in my start menu and it does not stay on the screen (just flashes and disappears quickly)...

Could someone help me to get this display/graphical issue worked out?

Thanks,
Lisa