[ncl-install] Error using Linux SUSE

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 6 13:05:50 MDT 2013

Hi Ahmad,

Generally, I recommend *not* setting DISPLAY at all, as your system should set it for you. Have you tried this?

If this doesn't work, then exactly how are you logging into the machine where you are running "ng4ex" from?

For example, if you are logging in with "ssh machinename", then try "ssh -Y machinname" instead. This should tell the remote machine that you want to run X11 applications on it, and have them display back to the machine you are logging in from.

It is not critical that you get this to work. You can always edit your NCL programs to send the output to a PostScript, PDF, or PNG file, instead of an X11 window.

However, I find X11 windows very convenient when I'm debugging graphics in NCL.

--Mary