[ncl-install] ncl rhel6 binary install - error while testing

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 4 17:44:30 MDT 2013

Hi,

If you plan to just use NCL, then don't worry about the fact that "ncargex cpex08" failed.  You only need this to work if you plan to write NCAR Graphics C or Fortran programs and compile them.

If you really want to get this to work, then it looks like either your compiler is finding the wrong Xext library on your system, or else you have an incorrect installation of it.

You didn't include the full output from "ncargex cpex08", so I'm not sure what "-L" paths it is using, but my guess it that it needs "-L/usr/lib64" on the compile line.

You might try editing $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncargf77

and modify the line that looks something like this:

set syslibdir = "-L/usr/lib"

to have something like this:

set syslibdir = "-L/usr/lib64"

The "ncargf77" command gets called by the "ncargex" command, so once you make this change and save the file, try running the "ncargex cpex08 -clean" command again.

--Mary