[ncl-install] question 2

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 4 17:36:39 MDT 2013

On Jul 3, 2013, at 3:51 AM, fereshteh komijani <fereshtehkomijani at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi dear
> i am new with NCL and i have more question in my mind
> i read documentation for installing NCL from source code and it makes several questionfor me that i send some of them for you
>
> 1: for some software it is mentioed that ”not needed if you are only doing an NCAR Graphics build.” what is another  capability  of NCAR(except graphic)? Because i want to decide to install those software or not.

NCL is a scripted programming language, like IDL or Matlab, and it's built on top of NCAR Graphics. NCAR Graphics is a suite of Fortran and C libraries that you link to via other C or Fortran programs.

I do not recommend using NCAR Graphics, as it only does graphics.  NCL gives you the graphics, powerful file I/O and a suite of computational routines.

>  2- you say that we want compilers and compile options, as you say linux default complilers are gcc and g fortran. Should i set export CC=gcc and export FC=gfortran in .bashrc file??
>  3- i don't know what compile options  must be chose? I guess CFLAGS,FFLAGS.are  these options corrent chose?

From these two questions, it sounds like you are trying to build NCL from source code.  I recommend that you try to use one of the precompiled NCL binaries that we provide for LINUX systems.

Please see our LINUX binary page where we explain the different binaries and which one you can download for your system

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/linux.shtml

It sounds like from a previous message that you tried to download NCL via yum.  This is not a version that we provide or support, so I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

To quickly test if you have NCL on your system and to see if it works, type (from a UNIX window):

ncl -V

This should echo a version number, like

6.1.2

If it says something like "command not found", then you either do not have NCL installed on your system, or else your system can't find it.

If you think you have it, then you probably just need to set your UNIX path so it can find the "ncl" executable. Please read this page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml

and read steps #2-#5. Step #1 you will also need to read if you don't have NCL already installed on your system.

> 4-can i install  cairo just by
> yum install cairo
> yum install cairo-devel
> yum install libcaro-devel
> comands instead of installation PNG,pkg-config, fontconfig, freetype,pixman and expat packages?

Yes, I believe this should be possible. I don't think you'll need the "devel" packages, however, if you use a precompiled NCL binary.