[ncl-install] Problem unzipping/untarring NCL setup file

David Book davidbook at enigmatics.com
Sat Jan 26 19:36:26 MST 2013

I use Firefox as my browser and I'm running under Windows 7 on a 64-bit
computer. I downloaded and successfully started Cygwin/X.  Using Windows
Explorer I can see my home directory, C:\cygwin\home\book. I can open a
Cygwin/X window by clicking on my Cygwin desktop icon.

(But when I open a Cygwin/X window, the prompt reads
Book at Book-Enigmatics  instead of
Book.  I don't understand this, but I don't think that's the source of my
problem.)

Then I downloaded
/ncl_ncarg-6.1.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64_i686.tar.gz  and saved it in my home
directory. I can see it there, either by opening the directory with Windows
Explorer
or by opening a Cygwin/X window and doing
ls -a.  Then I tried to install it, following the instructions under
"Install NCL" in the chapter entitled "Installing Cygwin/X (Windows)" in
the NCL online manual. I typed
cd /usr/local .  No problem. The prompt says that I am now at
/usr/local ,  as it should. But when I type
gunzip /ncl_ncarg-6.1.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64_i686.tar.gz ,  I get this
message:  gzip:
/cygwin/home/Book/ncl_ncarg-6.1.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64_i686.tar.gz: No such
file or directory  I tried downloading the file again again. No luck. Then
I downloaded the unzipped file,
/ncl_ncarg-6.1.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64_i686.tar , and tried untarring it
(i.e., skipping the gzip step). No luck. My system still says it can't find
the file and/or directory.

Can someone tell me what is going on and how to fix it?

David

David L. Book
President, Enigmatics, Inc.