[ncl-install] does not locate libgfortran.3.dylib on mac

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 30 10:38:53 MST 2013

Sangeeta,

The issue is that your DISPLAY environment variable is not set for some reason. This is not an NCL issue.

In the past, we recommended that people set DISPLAY as follows:

cshrc/tcshrc:

  setenv DISPLAY :0.0

bash/ksh:

export DISPLAY=:0.0

However, this should no longer be required as DISPLAY should be set for you automatically.

Where are you trying to run ncl from?  On a Mac, I use the Terminal application, and it sets my DISPLAY for me. It looks something like this:

printenv DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-mZpn3z/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

Note that MacOS uses XQuartz for its X11 Window display. This application may come already installed on your system, or it should ask you to install it the first time you run any X11 application.

Do you have XQuartz installed on your system? Whenever you run an X11 application, XQuartz should start up and appear in your MacOS dock as a black X with an orange circle around it.

--Mary