[ncl-install] problem with extracting pre-compiled binaries on Ubuntu

Christopher Steele (SCI) Christopher.Steele at uea.ac.uk
Thu Aug 15 01:54:42 MDT 2013

Hello,

I've recently upgraded my machine to work with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have been trying unsuccessfully to install NCL 6.1.2 on the new system. For some reason I can't extract the pre-compiled binaries. It looks like a really simple problem but every time I try to extract them I get the message:

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

I don't see this error with earlier versions of Ubuntu (both 32bit). Do you have any ideas why this may be happening?

cheers

Christopher Steele,
School of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia