[ncl-install] Maybe helpful - installing NCL on OS X 10.7

Ryan Kelly rkelly at life.illinois.edu
Mon Sep 24 18:26:35 MDT 2012

Hi,

Maybe this is obvious or already discussed, but I just ran into and then overcame some trouble installing NCL on OS X Lion (10.7), and thought I'd pass along the info.

I was installing NCL per the well-documented OS X procedure at:
 http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml

Ran into the issue described at:
 http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/linux.shtml.

Specifically, when running the post-install test I got the error:
 'dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/gfortran/lib/libgfortran.3.dylib'

Running:
 ls /usr/local/lib/libg*

showed I did have 'libgfortran.2.dylib' in the right location, but indeed was missing 'libgfortran.3.dylib'. I updated my gcc install with a package from:
 http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

(which is very easy) and now have the library in /usr/local/lib as required.

Running the suggested NCL test described at

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#TestNCL

now works fine so this fix appears a success.