[ncl-install] ncl 6.1, ESMF, Linux and OSX

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:10:42 MST 2012

On Nov 13, 2012, at 9:56 AM, David B. Reusch wrote:

> I'm upgrading to 6.1 (from 6.0) on my Linux (Redhat 5 and 6) and OSX
> (10.6 and 10.8) systems and have run into some questions/problems.
>
> 1a. On Linux, I'm using the 686 Debian (non-opendap) binary because
> there's no 686 Redhat version.  I have a pretty good idea that this is
> behind the problem I'm seeing but bear with me a moment.  After install,
> I'm using ESMF functions to try to do a regrid.  The two
> curvilinear_to_SCRIP calls are fine, but then the ESMF_RegridWeightGen
> call fails when it can't find libcurl_gnutls.so.4.  I don't have that
> library and, from a brief look around, it seems this is only distributed
> in Debian.  If so, then the fact I'm using a Debian binary on a Redhat
> system is a perfect explanation for the error.  But my real question is
> *why* is this library needed for the weight generation call?  Seems odd.

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the problems here. We are not explicitly linking in these strange libraries.
The libcurl_gnutls.so.4 is likely being pulled in because it uses "curl".

I saw a suggestion, when I googled this, to soft link this against whatever libcurl.so.xxx library you have.
For example:

ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4

You could type:

   locate libcurl

to see if you have a libcurl anywhere and try the link. I don't know if this is kosher, but it's worth a shot. You can always remove the link if it doesn't work.

> 1b. I'll actually be migrating my Linux boxes to Fedora in mid-December,
> probably to x64, but I'd like to know that I won't run into similar
> problems with missing libraries if I use the RH x64 binary.  I know RH
> is "spawned" from Fedora so wouldn't expect problems but having a
> Fedora-specific binary available would be terrific.

Unfortunately I only have access to RedHat and Debian machines at the moment.

One possibility is to build your own ESMF_RegridWeightGen tool. It requires that you
build NetCDF 4 first. I can help with all of this.

Or, if you could provide me with a logon, I can try building a binary for you.

> 2a.  On OSX, I have a 10.6 machine that I'll be upgrading to 10.8 but
> not soon enough for the work I need to do now.  Would it be possible to
> have a 10.6 binary created?  Or is there any reason the 10.7 binary
> wouldn't work on 10.6?

Usually things are not backwards compatible in this fashion.

But, we do have a 10.6 binary:

ncl_​ncarg-​6.​1.​0.​MacOS_​10.​6_​i386_​64bit_​gcc460.​tar.​gz

--Mary