[ncl-install] Help - Run NCL under Cygwin/X

Luise Beichert beichert at iqo.uni-hannover.de
Fri Nov 9 04:53:12 MST 2012

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have a problem to install and run NCL on my computer (system software
Windows 7, 64 bit).

I installed Cygwin/X, like described in your instructions in the default
path C:\\cygwin... with all packages mentioned on your help and in the
'Cygwin/X User's Guide'. I can run it and it has a home directory.

Afterwards I downloaded NCL (Version 6.1.0 for Cygwin) and put the
*.tar.gz file in my home directory. Using Cygwin and the command gunzip
c://cygwin/home/... I unziped the file (without 'c:/' i got the error:
No such file or directory). But I can't utilise the next command: tar
-xvf c://cygwin/home..., there is the error: tar: Cannot connect to c:
decomposition failed. So I manually integrated the files in my home
directory using 7-Zip.

Then I copied as described the additonal code lines
         export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local
         export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
and
         export DISPLAY=0.0
in the .bashrc file. (I don't know, if I have to put a '#' at the
begining of every line, but i found no difference yet).
Unfortunately there is no .cshrc file, so I couldn't add the two
setenv-commands. Anyway I can use the C-shell. Typing 'which csh' or
'which tcsh' gives '/usr/local/(t)csh'. And I'm sure, that the
'tcsh'-package is installed.

Finally I tested NCL, but it didn't work. Typing 'ncl -V' gives 'bash:
ncl: command not found.'

Actually I don't know, what to do different. I have administrators
access rights and I added already a path ' C:\cygwin\bin' to system
enviroment variables. But I'm not sure, if I unziped all files correctly
in the right folders.

Thank you for your contribution to help me. Kind regards.

--
Luise Beichert

Institut für Quantenoptik
Leibniz Universität Hannover