[ncl-install] qusetions about NetBeans NCL plugin

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon May 21 09:42:18 MDT 2012

On May 20, 2012, at 9:31 AM, Tao Qing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The works on NetBeans plugin is very cool, it can provide us many convenience.
> I have tried to install the NetBeans and NCL plugin, but it can not work properly.
> 1) It can highlit some syntax but it says it cannot find the $NCARG_ROOT ;

Are you setting the NCARG_ROOT environment variable on your LINUX machine?  What does the following report:

   printenv NCARG_ROOT

> 2) I tried to use CTRL+SPACE to finish some sentence but it cannot work. By the way my computer use CTRL+SPACE to change English Input to Chinese Input.

We did not write the NetBeans plugin, so I don't know how to tell you to change the CTRL+SPACE. You might trying writing to the NetBeans folks about this.

I just googled "ctrl space netbeans" and found this information:

http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqEditorCodeCompletionProblems

> You know, I am a graduate student from China, I use NCL in a LINUX workstation, but I only want to edit the NCL script in WINDOWS, because I donot install NCL in my WINDOWS computer.

Have you installed CYGWIN on your Windows computer? If so, you can run UNIX editors like "vi" or "emacs" under a Cygwin window to edit NCL scxripts. If you install Cygwin/X, then you could run NCL on your Windows box under Cygwin/X.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml

If you want to edit NCL scripts under Windows directly, you will need to make sure that whatever program you use, like Word, you save it in plain text format, and not WORD format.
NCL cannot execute a Word-created file.

--Mary