[ncl-install] NCL6.0.0 build Successfully, but fails to work, thanks!

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu May 3 08:53:04 MDT 2012

Unfortunately this output doesn't provide me with any new information.  It almost looks like it goes into a loop.

I do have a note in the $NCARG/ni/src/lib/hlu/README file that says this:

   I had trouble compiling Workstation.c on an x86_64 Linux system using
   the Intel (icc) compiler. I got an internal error message. So, I
   used gcc to compile just this one file.

You are using "icc", correct?  Maybe you can try this:

   cd $NCARG/ni/src/lib/hlu
    /bin/rm Create.o Workstation.o

Edit the "Makefile" and change:

CC              = icc

CC              = gcc

Save the file and type:

    cd $NCARG/ni/src
    make all install

This should rebuild Workstation.c and Create.c using the "gcc" compiler, and build a new "ncl" which you can try.

I'm not sure this is going to solve the problem, though. We've had a lot of problems using the Intel compilers, and
I usually just give up and go to gcc/gfortran.

--Mary