[ncl-install] Error when launching NCL with a remote machine.

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 26 15:14:59 MDT 2012

For whatever reason, when you connect with your machine using putty your bash login file is not getting sourced.
A simple work-around would be just to manually set NCARG_ROOT on the command line before executing NCL.
Just type:

export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local

You could also try sourcing your login script:

.  ~/.bashrc

For a more comprehensive fix, you will need to consult the documentation for putty and/or Xming. This is a Windows/Linux interoperability issue that is beyond the scope of an NCL problem that we can address.
 -dave