[ncl-install] NCL6.0.0 build Successfully, but fails to work, thanks!

刘新圣 sinsonglew at mail.bnu.edu.cn
Sat Apr 28 23:41:13 MDT 2012

Dear Sir/Madam:
I built NCL 6.0.0 with no errors,but it doesn't work. Here it is:
1)Setup Environment

  Machine: IBM PowerPC64
  Systmem:linux ppc64
  GCC: 4.1.2 20080704
  Fortran: gfortran

2)NCL Dependent LIBS installed

jpeg-6b.tar.gz
zlib-1.2.6.tar.gz
szip-2.1.tar.gz
hdf5-1.8.8.tar.gz
netcdf-4.2.tar.gz
        hdf-4.2.6.tar.gz
        jasper-1.900.1.zip
        g2clib_with_changes-1.2.1.tar.gz
        proj-4.7.0.tar.gz
        libpng-1.2.49.tar.gz
        gdal-1.9.0.tar.gz
        HDF-EOS2.18v1.00.tar.Z
        HDF-EOS5.1.14.tar.Z
        pkg-config-0.25.tar.gz
        freetype-2.4.9.tar.gz
        fontconfig-2.9.0.tar.gz
        pixman-0.24.4.tar.gz
        expat-2.1.0.tar.gz
cairo-1.10.2.tar.gz
triangle-1.6
udunits-2.1.24.tar.gz
vis5d+-1.3.0-beta.tar.gz
 3)NCL Tests Failed
      When I type "ncl" in command line,I got a message:
      "Copyright (C) 1995-2011 - All Rights Reserved
      NCAR Command Language Version 6.0.0
      The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
      See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
      Segmentation fault"

 4)NCAR Graphics Test Succeeded
      Typed:
            ncargex cpex08
            ctrans -d X11 cpex08.ncgm

      The contour figure coverd the Africa poped out.

 5)Trace the crash point of "/usr/local/bin/ncl"

      I positioned the crash line of main function in /ncl_ncarg-6.0.0/ni/src/ncl/Ncl.c,
    and found the called function:
    NhlVACreate(&appid, "ncl", NhlappClass, NhlDEFAULT_APP,NhlNappDefaultParent, 1, NhlNappUsrDir, "./", NULL).

    I guess that NhlVACreate is used to create an Workstation or so.

     Because there are no extra information about "Segmentation fault",
  I couldn't figure out how to deal with this fatal error. Any help will be appreciated.
  Thanks a lot!
                                                   Best Regards
  Sinsonglew