[ncl-install] nacrg on Mac OS X Lion

Noble, Erik U. (GSFC)[COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY] erik.u.noble at nasa.gov
Mon Sep 19 15:20:24 MDT 2011

I downloaded the file. I typed "idt gmetad.300" and it opened up. I am using OSX 10.7 (Lion).
I am using the latest ncl binary compile with gcc/gfortran but I am using intel(ifort/icc) compilers by default.

If I don't want to move everything (bin, include, library etc) to the
system directory /usr/local, what should I do to tell ncar use the
Macport compilers and libraries? Do I need to manually edit scripts
ncargf90 and ncargcc?

Go to /opt/local/bin and create a symbolic link within the directory
ln -sf gcc-mp-4.5 gcc
and
ln -sf  gfortran-mp-4.5 gfortran

If /opt/local/bin is not the fist thing in your PATH, then create a .bashrc (.cshrc) file that makes this so whenever you need to use gcc/gfortran 4.5.
Erik Noble
Center for Climate Systems Research, Columbia University
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
2880 Broadway, New York, NY-10025, USA

Tel: +1 (212) 678-5512; Fax: +1 (212) 678-5552
E-mail: enoble at giss.nasa.gov<mailto:enoble at giss.nasa.gov>, en2192 at columbia.edu<mailto:en2192 at columbia.edu>
WEB:  http://www.giss.nasa.gov/staff/enoble.html
GISS: http://www.giss.nasa.gov
CCSR: http://www.ccsr.columbia.edu