[ncl-install] NCL-install MacOSx

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 3 17:32:53 MDT 2011

Assuming you are using MacOS Terminal windows, go to Terminal > Preferences > Settings > Shell and make sure the Startup : Run command box is checked. There is probably a command such as (for me):
/bin/bash --init-file /Users/dbrown/.bashrc

You can edit this line if necessary.

For me it indicates that the file .bashrc in my home directory is executed when bash starts inside a terminal window. You can do 'ls -a ~' to see if you have such a file. If not you can create it yourself . You should edit this file and add the command to set NCARG_ROOT and modify the PATH, for example:

export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/
export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH

Once you save this file you should be able to open a new window and use NCL without having to set up the PATH.
Hope this helps.
 -dave