[ncl-install] trouble installing ncl on a PC

Daniel Kirshbaum d.kirshbaum at reading.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 19:00:51 MDT 2011

Hello there,

I am trying to install the ncl binaries (following the link to ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.CYGWIN_NT-5.1_i686.tar.gz on the Earthsystemgrid ncl download page) onto my PC, which is running Cygwin-X (on Windows XP, if that matters).  I followed all of the instructions to the tee (I believe), but ncl won't run.  From a cygwin-X shell, it does not give an error message, it just doesn't do anything and returns to the command prompt.  But I have also tried to run ncl from Windows Explorer, which gives me the following error message:

"This application has failed to start because cygX11-6.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I checked my PATH environment variable and it seems to look ok.  I have attached it here, along with all of my environment variables, in the file "printenv.log".  One question is that my cygwin seems to be installed in a different directory than the installation instructions seems to expect.  For example, my home directory is:

C:\Cygwin\localpackages\home\Dan

whereas the instructions would expect it to be located at c:\cygwin\home\Dan

Could this be a source of the problem?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Dan Kirshbaum
University of Reading