[ncl-install] ncl cannot be run under cygwin in 64-bit windows 7

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun May 2 14:45:57 MDT 2010

Xuguang,

The precompiled Cygwin/NCL binary is a 32-bit binary. Unfortunately I
don't have a 64-bit Windows machine to test it on. I think it should
work, however.

I think the problem may be with your version of Cygwin. Other users
have reported to me that they had to upgrade Cygwin before they could
run NCL.

The Cygwin "setup.exe" I used was version 2.697. If your Cygwin was
installed with an older version of "setup.exe", then you probably need
to upgrade it.

See the notes at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml#InstallCygwinX

--Mary