[ncl-install] problem running graphics

Craig Miller cmiller at eng.uwo.ca
Thu Jul 29 17:41:19 MDT 2010

Hi Mary

Whoops, I should have checked the FAQ first. What threw me was that
Fedora 13 installs the X11 libraries as part of the base installation,
which meant that I could locate the Xext library, but specifying the
library path didn't help when trying to compile cpex08. I eventually
figured out that I had to include the development libraries as well,
which in Fedora 13 can be done from the System > Administration >
Add/Remove Software menu by searching for the keyword X11 and then
selecting the appropriate packages for installation. You can presumably
also do this by opening a terminal window, and running yum or sudo.

You can also install NCL using the same process, although there are four
separate packages to install, rather than the single package you get if
you download the appropriate precompiled binaries from the Earth System
Grid website. Doing it this way also seems to remove the need to specify
NCARG_ROOT and the path for the binary files in the search path, the
only real problem being that all your binary files for all your
installed libraries end up in /usr/bin, the include files end up in
/usr/include and the library files end up in /usr/lib, rather than
having a separate home directory for each library.

If it's any consolation I've had to go through the same process with all
the packages required to compile WRF.

Craig