[ncl-install] trying to use the ncarg_ncl binaries

Vernard C. Martin vcmarti at sph.emory.edu
Fri Sep 18 14:01:54 MDT 2009

Mary Haley wrote:

> This binary was built on a Linux x86_64 system using the gcc/gfortran
> 4.1.2 compilers.
>
> However, the problem is that you downloaded an OPeNDAP-enabled version
> of NCL. This requires installing additional OPeNDAP software, as
> described at:
>
>    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#OPeNDAPInstructions
>
> If you don't need an OPeNDAP version, then I highly recommend going
> back to the ESG and downloading a non-OPeNDAP version of NCL.

ok, that makes sense. I did what you said and got the non-OpeNDAP
version of NCL. now I get some strange errors and it segfaults.  I've
included a snippet of the error so you can see what I mean.

[zwang47 at cluster remotesensing]$ ncl_convert2nc
narr-a_221_20090912_0300_000.grb
Processing file: narr-a_221_20090912_0300_000.grb...
 Copyright (C) 1995-2009 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.1.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
warning:Unable to Get System Resource File Name?
warning:Unable to load System Resource File (null)
fatal:GetSysAppDir:Unable to get a default value for the system App
Resource directory
warning:["Resources.c":734]:Unable to set appSysDir to default value -
Using NULL
fatal:GetSysAppDir:Unable to get a default value for the system App
Resource directory
warning:["Resources.c":734]:Unable to set appSysDir to default value -
Using NULL
warning:Unable to Get System Resource File Name?
Segmentation fault
[zwang47 at cluster remotesensing]$

Am I missing some parameters or somesuch?