[ncl-install] Fedora 10

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue May 19 14:42:40 MDT 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> On 05/19/2009 07:48 AM, Mary Haley wrote:
>>
>> I have no familiarity with the NCL/RPM package, but it looks
>> like NCARG_ROORT and/or NCARG_LIB are not being set correctly.
>>
>> First, NCARG_ROOT root should be set to the parent directory of where
>> NCL/NCAR Graphics was installed. For example, if the
>> software was installed to /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include,
>> and /usr/local/bin, then NCARG_ROOT should be set to /usr/local.
>
> Binaries are in /usr/bin, so NCARG_ROOT=/usr

Correct.

>> Second, NCARG_LIB should *not* be set, unless the NCL/NCAR Graphics
>> libraries were installed to some location other than $NCARG_ROOT/lib.
>
> Libraries (lib*.a) are in /usr/lib/ncarg or /usr/lib64/ncarg, hence
> NCARG_LIB=/usr/lib/ncarg (or /usr/lib64/ncarg).

Okay, then you do need NCARG_LIB set, and you are setting it
to the correct thing.

>> If this is the case, then instead of setting NCARG_LIB to
>> /usr/share/ncarg, set NCARG_NCARG to this directory, and don't set
>> NCARG_LIB:
>>
>> NCARG_ROOT=/usr
>> NCARG_NCARG=/usr/share/ncarg
>
> Thanks.  Forgot to do this when I moved the data files to /usr/share/ncarg.
>
> I think I can reproduce the segfault.  Looks like the fontcap files generated
> during the build have their endian-ness reversed from the fontcap files in
> the Linux i686 binary package.  Any idea what would be causing that?

This might be caused by how the "libncarg_c.a" library is built in
$NCARG/common/src/libncarg_c.

If you are on a little endian, 32-bit machine, you need to make sure
the following files are compiled into the library:

EXCSRCS = bcopyswap.c gsbytes.c logic32.c
SHLIBSRCS = g77.c

If you are on a 64-bit, little endian machine, then:

EXCSRCS = bcopyswap.c logic32.c
EXFSRCS = gbytes.f sbytes.f

I'm not sure this affects the fontcaps, however. It sounds like
somehow your i386/x86_64 builds may be getting mixed.

--Mary