[ncl-install] Fedora 10

Bjorge Solli bjorge.solli at it.uib.no
Fri May 15 08:09:40 MDT 2009

Thanks for your suggestions,

I untarred ncl_ncarg-5.1.0.Linux_i686_opendap_gcc412.tar.gz in
/usr/local/ncarg

# ls -l /usr/local/ncarg/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-03-04 05:54 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2009-03-02 17:28 include
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2009-03-04 05:49 lib

# which ncl
/usr/local/ncarg/bin/ncl

Here are some more info:
# rpm -qa | grep compat-libgfortran
compat-libgfortran-41-4.1.2-36.i386

# env | egrep '(LD_LIBRARY_PATH|DISPLAY|NCARG_ROOT)'
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ncarg/lib
NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/ncarg
DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

A window seems to appear just before it crashes. This is from a remote
ssh -X session, but the same errors appear when it's run directly on the
machine under gnome.

# uname -a
Linux gfi063039.klientdrift.uib.no 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686 #1 SMP
Mon Mar 23 23:37:54 EDT 2009 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.3.0

I get the following errors:
# ncl JCLIM_TESTNCL.ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2009 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.1.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
warning:Unable to load System Resource File /usr/lib/ncarg/ncarg/sysresfile
warning:WorkstationClassInitialize:Unable to access rgb color database -
named colors unsupported:[errno=2]
warning:["Palette.c":1533]:NhlLoadColormapFiles: Invalid colormap
directory: /usr/lib/ncarg/ncarg/colormaps
warning:GKS:GSTXFP: --X driver error: error opening fontcap
warning:TextItem:libncarg Error:PLCHHQ/PCFOPN - ERROR OPENING PWRITX
DATA FILE /usr/lib/ncarg/ncarg/database/PlotcharData
<repeated>
warning:TextItem:libncarg Error:PLCHHQ/PCFOPN - ERROR OPENING PWRITX
DATA FILE /usr/lib/ncarg/ncarg/database/PlotcharData
fatal:MapV40DHClassPartInit: cannot open map data file: NhlMapData
fatal:MapV40DHClassPartInit: error initializing map outline records
fatal:Unable to initialize layer-Can't Create
fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4
fatal:PID #-4 can't be found in NhlSetValues
fatal:PID #-4 can't be found in NhlSetValues
fatal:NhlGetValues:PID #-4 is invalid

This script works on other systems with the latest ncl, so there is
nothing wrong with the script itself.

I find it strange that it tries to find the files in /usr/lib/ncarg/ncarg/*

When it comes to the rpm-installed ncl in /usr/bin/ it produces the same
errors.

Bjørge

Mary Haley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  Dennis is right, this is likely an NCARG_ROOT problem.
>
> This could also be a missing "libgfortran.so.1" problem or the X11
> DISPLAY environment variable is not set correctly.
>
> Please read the following sections to make sure your environment is set
> up correctly:
>
>    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#SetNCARG_ROOT
>    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#SetDISPLAY
>
> And here's something on the possible missing libgfortran.so problem:
>
>    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#LinuxMacNotes
>
> --Mary
>
> On May 15, 2009, at 7:20 AM, Dennis Shea wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> People who have problems with the precompiled binaries
>> most frequently have not properly set the NCARG_ROOT
>> environment variable. Please check that this has been
>> properly set.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> What do you mean by "It does not work properly?"
>> It is a rather vague statement. If error messages
>> were generated, could you please provide a sample?
>>

>> ---
>>
>> The person most able to help on this is not available
>> until early next week. However, you could provide more
>> information to help.
>>
>> Please provide the results from
>>
>> %> uname -a
>>
>> %> gcc --version
>>

>> Good luck
>>

>> Bjorge Solli wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install NCL on Fedora 10, but get a lot of errors when
>>> using the precompiled binaries. Has anyone accoplished a working ncl on
>>> Fedora 10? ncl is in the repos, but it does not work properly.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Bjørge