[ncl-install] GRIB ?

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue May 12 13:23:16 MDT 2009

Benjamin Laken wrote:
> I am attempting to switch my creation of spatial files from GrADSC to
> NCL, however when it comes to reading  outputted files I have created in
> IDL programs with the 'writeu' command (outputting in unformatted binary
> data) will I be able to read these outputs with NCL? - and if so what
> are the commands for that procedure?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --Ben Laken

'writeu' is a flat binary write. Same a fortran write with 'direct'
access specified or C block IO.

Go to the Applications page:
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/index.shtml

Under category "File I/O" click on "Read Binary"

"fbindirread" is more general that "cbinread"

Please read the section on binary portability.
I suggest reading the Mini-Language manual at:
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

FYI: ncl-install is for "installation" questions.

Please send language/user question to ncl-talk at ucar.edu

Good Luck